19 April, 2016

I'm sipping some hot herbal infusion laying on my kitchen sofa and reading The Mother Russia novel as rain quietly knocks to the window from the outside. The rain fills the kitchen with peace and calm, offsetting the book's fiery plot about Russia no tourist would ever see. I found Robert Littell's writing style very closely reminiscent that of Vladimir Voinovich's "Moscow 2042". Now I wonder if the former have read the latter and was influenced by him, as the similarities are really striking. And yes, I like The Mother Russia despite it is a complete rubbish, as the "Soviet Union" portrayed there has nothing to do with the real USSR, but the plot and style overweight the obvious omissions. The rare case of style beating essence.

Пью травяной чай лежа в кухне на диване с книгой Mother Russia, а в окна лениво стучит дождь, наполняя кухню миром и покоем, что резко контрастирует с яростным сюжетом "о России, которую никогда не увидит ни один турист".Мне кажется, что стиль Роберта Литтла очень близок к стилю "Москва 2042" Владимира Войновича, и вот думаю: занком ли первый с творчеством последнего, оказал ли Войнович на Литтла влияние? Уж больно совпадает их стиль письма, не говоря уже про тему. Да, мне понравилась Mother Russia, несмотря на то, что описываемый там "Советский Союз" - полная чушь и карикатура, но это тот редкий случай, когда форма перевешивает содержание.

No comments:

Post a Comment